Calls for Proposals
The Call for Research Proposals on Atlantic Salmon is now closed following the submission deadline of 23:59 EST, September 1, 2019.
- Applicants were informed of the status of their Letters of Interest (LOI) and finalists were selected for full proposal in November 2019.
- The final proposal review and selection process to be completed by June 2020.
Call for Letters of Interest (LOIs)
Environmental and Social Studies – Atlantic Salmon
During recent key regulatory environmental assessment processes, questions were raised concerning: 1) the presence or absence of Atlantic salmon (Salmo solar) in areas of offshore oil and gas activity in eastern Canada; and 2) if they are present, what could be the possible impact of such activities on salmon survival while at sea.
Atlantic salmon is an important anadromous fish species in eastern Canada. These fish spend their early lives in freshwater and then migrate long distances to the sea to feed and grow before returning as mature adults to spawn in their natal river. Since the late 1980’s, there has been a significant decline in the number of adult salmon returning to their native river to spawn, which has raised questions regarding the recovery and survival of many salmon stocks on the east coast of Canada.
Objective: To develop a program of research aimed to determine the presence of Atlantic salmon in Eastern Canadian offshore regions to inform regulatory decision making in Canada’s areas of offshore oil and gas activity.
Eligible Funding Recipients must be:
- Legal entities validly incorporated or registered in Canada, including:
- For profit and not for profit organizations such as companies, industry associations, research associations, etc.;
- Indigenous organizations and groups;
- Community groups; and
- Canadian Post-Secondary Institutions; or
- Federal, provincial, territorial, regional and municipal governments and their departments, agencies and research centres.
For questions or to receive notifications on upcoming open call for research?
Please contact the ESRF Secretariat.
Follow us on social media and join the conversation using:
- Date modified: