The ESRF has sponsored studies on oil and gas exploration and development on frontier lands, including such topics as environmental effects on fish, bird and animal habits and habitats, iceberg detection and flow patterns, oil spill prevention and countermeasures, dispersant effectiveness in cold waters and ice, frontier social and economic issues, improving accuracy of ocean and weather forecasting, and verification of codes and standards.
All ESRF studies are subject to a scientific/technical peer review. Reports that are deemed to be scientifically or technically significant are published in the ESRF Technical Report Series.
Below you will find studies published with the last 5 years.
Earlier reports can be requested by contacting the ESRF Secretariat.
Environmental Effects and Monitoring
- Recommended Seabird and Marine Mammal Observational Protocols for Atlantic Canada
- 2004, Moulton, VD and BD Mactavish
- Sable Island Air Monitoring Program Report: 2003-2006
- 2010, Waugh, D and T. Inkpen., M. Hingston., S. Keast., J. McPherson., D. Worthy., G. Forbes.
- Effects of Seismic Survey Sound on Cetaceans in the Northwest Atlantic
- 2010, Moulton, VD and M Holst.
- Bosworth Creek Water Quality Data Study:Final Report
- 2011, Collins, LA, CD Murray and RT Stainton.
- Proceedings of a Workshop on Seismic Sound Propagation Characteristics in the Beaufort Sea, Calgary, Alberta, July 14-15, 2009
- 2010, Moulton, VD and WJ Richardson.
- Mapping the Spatial Distribution of Juvenile and Spawning Activities for Five Selected Finfish Species off the Labrador and Northeastern Newfoundland Shelf
- 2010, French, EBS and LMN Ollerhead.
- Report of a Workshop on Fish Behavior in Response to Seismic Sound
- 2011, CEF Consultants Limited.
- Ecologically-based criteria to assess the impact and recovery of seismic lines: The importance of width, regeneration, and seismic line density
- 2011, Bayne, E, H Lankau and J Tigner.
- Refinement and Validation of Numerical Risk Assessment Models for use in Atlantic Canada
- 2013, Niu, H and K Lee.
- Effects of Offshore Oil and Gas Production on Air Quality in Canada’s East Coast Offshore Areas
- 2013, Stantec Consulting Llimited.
- Biological Effects of Produced Water from Offshore Canadian Atlantic Oil and Gas Platforms on Various Life Stages of Marine Fish
- 2013, Courtenay, Simon, Monica Lyons, Monica Boudreau, Les Burridge and Ken Lee Centre for Offshore Oil, Gas and Energy Research (COOGER).
- Effects of Seismic Air-Gun Sounds on Lobster (Homarus americanus): Pilot Laboratory Studies with (i) a Recorded Track from a Seismic Survey and (ii) Air-Gun Pulse Exposures over 5 Days
- 2015, Payne, JF, CD Andrews, J Hanlon, J Lawson, A Mathieu, A Wadsworth, and B French.
- Arrival and distribution of beluga whales (Delphinapterus leucas) along the Mackenzie Shelf: Report on the spring aerial surveys
- 2016, Hoover, C, C Hornby, M Ouellette, V Torontow, K Hynes and L Loseto.
- Ocean Currents and Benthic Habitat in the Sackville Spur Region
- 2016, Greenan, BJW, D Hebert, D Cardoso, EL Kenchington, L Beazley and A van der Baaren.
- Uniqueness of Fishes and Habitat Utilization in Oil & Gas Lease Blocks Relative to Non-Lease Areas in the Canadian Beaufort Sea
- 2016, Majewski, AR, KD Suchy, SP Atchison, J Henry, SA MacPhee, W Walkusz, J Eert, M Dempsey, A Niemi, L de Montety, M Geoffroy, C Giraldo, C Michel, P Archambault, WJ Williams, L Fortier and JD Reist.
- Beaufort Regional Coastal Sensitivity Atlas
- 2014, Environment and Climate Change Canada.
Frontier Social and Economic Issues
- 2010 Review of Tuktoyaktuk Harbour as a Base for Offshore Oil & Gas Exploration and Development
- 2010, Kavik-Axys Inc.
- An Assessment of Predicted Socio-Economic Impacts of Labrador Shelf and Gas Activity on Labrador Communities and Individuals
- 2011, Sikimuit Environmental Management Limited.
- Improving the Accuracy of the Short-term Ice and Ocean Forecasts in the Beaufort Sea
- 2016, Lu, Youyu, Gregory Smith, Mark Buehner and Tom Carrieres.
Oil Spill Research and Countermeasures
- Beaufort Sea Oil Spills State of Knowledge Review and Identification of Key Issues
- 2010, SL Ross Environmental Research Limited, DF Dickins Associates LLC, and Envision Planning Solutions Inc.
- Strategic Plan for Oil Spill Research in Canadian Arctic Waters
- 2013, C-CORE.
- Roadmap for Planning Controlled Oil Spill Countermeasures Research in the Canadian Beaufort Sea
- 2015, SL Ross Environmental Research Limited, IMG Golder Corporation Environmental Consulting and Golder Associates.
- Biodegradation of Naturally and Chemically Dispersed Crude Oils and Scotian Shelf Condensate from Atlantic Canada
- 2015, National Research Council Canada, Fisheries and Oceans Canada - Centre for Offshore Oil, Gas and Energy Research.
- Upstream Oil and Gas Waste Stream Study
- 2016, AMEC Foster Wheeler.
Please note: Her Majesty the Queen in Right of Canada, represented by the Minister of Natural Resources ("Canada"), makes no representations about the suitability for any purpose of the information (the "Information") contained in these documents. All such Information is provided on an "as is" basis, and Canada makes no representations or warranties respecting the Information, either expressed or implied, arising by law or otherwise, including but not limited to effectiveness, completeness, accuracy or fitness for a particular purpose. Canada does not assume any liability in respect of any damage or loss incurred as a result of the use of the Information. In no event shall Canada be liable in any way for loss of revenue or contracts, or any other consequential loss of any kind resulting from the use of the Information.
- Date Modified: